WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
Once we have received a referral we aim to book you into a telephone assessment appointment within 72 hours. This appointment will take approximately 30 minutes but maybe slightly longer or shorter dependent on your need.
Further treatment discussions
Further treatment discussions
Enquiry – how to access the service
- Fill in the online referral form
- Telephone call
- Via your GP
- Or from other professionals
Referral – we will contact you to arrange your consultation
- Once you or your GP have completed a referral form we will be in touch, usually within 72 hours.
- One of our friendly admin team will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your telephone assessment.
Your Telephone Assessment Appointment
- Your initial assessment will take place over the telephone. This will be a 20-30 minute call with a Therapist and a treatment plan will be recommended at the end of this call. In certain circumstances we are able to arrange face to face appointments.
- At the end of this call a treatment plan will be discussed with you based on the information gathered
- Occasionally we may need to signpost you on to another service/agency for more appropriate or alternative support.
Weekly Therapy Sessions
- Therapy sessions will be pre-arranged to take place on a weekly basis and depending on the treatment will vary in duration.
- We will provide workbooks and appropriate resources to support you through the treatment and therapy sessions.
- It is important that you practice the skills and techniques discussed with you in session in between appointments in order to get the maximum benefit from these. You may set homework which will inform future therapy sessions and it is key these are completed and brought along to subsequent sessions.
- It is important that you keep your appointments or let us know in advance if you need to change or cancel the appointment.
- Unfortunately if you do not attend 2 appointments you will be discharged from the service.
The length of treatment will be based on your individual needs.
Once you have completed your therapy sessions
- Our goal is to support and guide you to learn the skills and techniques you need to move towards recovery.
- After you have completed your therapy we recommend a period of consolidation to master the skills and techniques you have learned within treatment.
- We welcome your feedback on our service so that we can make improvements, to give us feedback click here.
WHAT TO EXPECT?
Talking Changes works from a progression model. This means we usually recommend the least intrusive treatment first. These are the step 2a interventions or Low intensity.
In terms of commitment to treatment we expect all those accessing our service to work collaboratively with their practitioner in order to gain the best possible outcomes. Regular attendance to appointments is key to achieving this and we recommend weekly appointments at every level of treatment. If, for some reason you are unable to make an appointment please let us know at the soonest possible opportunity. If you do not attend two consecutive appointments and we are unable to contact you we will discharge you back into the care of your GP.
TREATMENTS YOU CAN EXPECT
Depression and Anxiety groups
Within the course we will present information about depression and anxiety along with some of the skills and techniques you may find helpful. Although this is interactive you are not expected or pressured to talk or share personal information with other participants, and each week we provide helpful handouts for you to keep.
Telephone guided self-help
You will receive a wellbeing pack either by e-mail or in the post following your assessment call. Your therapist will provide 20 minute telephone appointments over a period of 4 weeks. The therapist will guide you through the wellbeing booklet and provide you with advice and support relevant to the difficulties you are experiencing.
Computerised cognitive behavioural therapy
You will be allocated a practitioner and given a log in for our computer based CBT program. Your first and last appointment will take place over the telephone but all other reviews can be online for your convenience.
Treatment for mild symptoms:
Face to face guided self-help
These face to face sessions run over the course of 6 – 8 weeks and the therapist will guide you through materials along with teaching you skills and techniques to overcome your difficulties.
High intensity treatments:
Our step 3 treatments are offered on a 1 to 1 basis. The principal aim of this approach is to enable you to become your own therapist by working with your practitioner to understand your problems and concerns and develop strategies to overcome them. We offer a variety of step 3 treatments which include:
Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
You will receive up to 12 sessions of face to face treatment which will each last 60 minutes and take place on a weekly basis. Here you will be able to gain a deeper understanding of your current problems and learn specific skills and techniques to overcome them.
Interpersonal therapy (IPT)
You will receive 16 sessions of one to one treatment which will allow you to explore the links between the impact of low mood on relationships and the interaction between these two areas of your life.
Eye movement desensitisation and reprocessing (EMDR).
This method is shown to be effective in the treatment of post-traumatic stress disorder and can help reduce symptoms associated with this (i.e. flashbacks and nightmares). Treatment sessions can last 60-90 minutes and will take place weekly over a period of 12 weeks.
Find out how you can contact us
Find out more or self-refer to our service
• Online • By telephone: 0191 333 3300
Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm – open till 8 pm Thursdays
The service can also be accessed by contacting your GP or other any other Health Care professional.